What’s in a tech pack?- the popular question…
Tech Packs – Instructions needed for overseas construction of clothing samples or production. – A summary for you below but first, think of it like this. I’m sure most of you have put together something from Ikea correct? You know the instruction manual you get with it? That Ikea instruction manual is similar to a tech pack. It includes text & diagrams on how to put your item together.
Please note, you really do not need a tech pack for your designs if you are making and producing (making multiple units) of your sample in the same location.
*This is a summery, much more info can be included
A TECH PACK-(TECHNICAL PACKAGE) IS A DOCUMENT CONTAINING NUMEROUS PAGES OF INSTRUCTIONS & DIAGRAMS REQUIRED TO CREATE A DESIGN OR MULTIPLE UNITS OF A GARMENT FOR A CLOTHING FACTORY. THIS DOCUMENT IS PREPARED BY A “TECHNICAL FASHION DESIGNER.” TECH PACKS ARE IMPORTANT FOR OVERSEAS PRODUCTION. WHICH COMES FIRST, THE PATTERN OR THE TECH PACK? **WE STRONGLY ADVISE HAVING YOUR FIRST SAMPLES MADE EXACTLY THE WAY YOU WISH, INCL. FIT, THEN CREATING A TECH PACK FROM YOUR CORRECTED SAMPLE.
1) THE CAD FLAT- TECHNICAL DRAWING OF THE GARMENT. VIEWS FROM NUMEROUS ANGLES, FRONT, BACK, TOP & OR INSIDE VIEW. ZOOM/CLOSE UP VIEWS MAY BE USED FOR DETAILS (COLORS, CUFFS, POCKETS, ZIPPERS ETC)
2) LIST OF COLOR-WAYS – ALL THE DIFFERENT COLOR OPTIONS FOR THAT STYLE & MATCHING PANTONE #’S
4) FABRICS TO BE USED – INCLUDING ARTWORK OR ANY PRINTS.
5) MEASUREMENTS – LIST OF ALL NEEDED MEASUREMENTS FOR 1 SIZE. (MULTIPLE SIZING MAY BE INCLUDED)
5) SEWING INSTRUCTIONS – DIRECTIONS FOR CONSTRUCTION OF THE GARMENT. ALL STITCHING STYLES, STRAIGHT STITCH, OVERLOCK, HEMLINE FINISHES, ETC.
6) TRIMS/HARDWARE – BUTTONS, SNAPS, STUDS, ZIPPERS ETC. COLOR OF THREAD, THREAD TYPE.
7) COMPANY & CARE LABELS – PLACEMENT OF LABEL.